Balance of Terror - Monthly OP

Ask your rules questions here!

Moderator: Star Trek Mods

Balance of Terror - Monthly OP

Postby federn » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:28 pm

During the Activation Phase, before an opposing
player's ship moves, a player may attempt to guess
that ship's maneuver (speed and bearing).

To do so, the guessing player must choose one of his
ships within Range 1-3 of the Active ship and spend
a Mission Token from on top of that ship's Captain
Card.


Can a player guess for each opponent ship in the same round, assuming the player is in range and has the mission tokens to spend? If so, can a ship/captain spend a mission token more than once per round?
federn
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:30 pm

Balance of Terror OP

Postby kokuryu » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:25 am

If an invalid Upgrade is revealed, that ship is
immediately destroyed.


What qualifies as an invalid Upgrade?
1. Wrong faction
2. Too high of an SP cost
3. Ship restrictions (can only be purchased for...)
4. Upgrade Slots

If I reveal an invalid upgrade, can I then use Cheat Death?
kokuryu
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:56 am

Balance of Terror OP Event

Postby trooperrich » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:41 am

I have a question about the squad building rules for this scenario.

SPECIAL RULES

SQUAD BUILDING

During the Gather Forces step, each ship may purchase one of its [Crew], [Elite Talent], [Tech], or [Weapon] Upgrades for a cost of exactly 3 SP and place it face down beneath its Ship Card. This Upgrade must be of the same faction as the ship it is assigned to and have an SP cost of 5 or less. NOTE: The ship’s Captain must be able to field an [Elite Talent] Upgrade in order to place an [Elite Talent] Upgrade beneath the card. Each of these Upgrades remain face down until a player decides to use them, and then they are turned face up for the rest of the game. If an invalid Upgrade is revealed, that ship is immediately destroyed


When selecting an upgrade to purchase for exactly 3 SP if there is a modifier to the cost of the upgrade does it apply before or after you purchase it for exactly 3 SP?

For example: Say I have a Fleet Captain that allows me to reduce the cost of all tech upgrades by 1 SP. I then choose a 5 point tech upgrade to purchase for 3 SP. Does this upgrade cost me 3 sp (5-1 =4 turns into 3) or 2 (5 becomes 3 -1 = 2) ?
trooperrich
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Balance of Terror OP

Postby victoryislife » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:39 am

Balance of Terror OP rules state that when guessed correctly, the activating ship is unable to use card abilities but can still perform action bar actions and use primary weapons.

Could "card abilities" be clarified?

Would Ship abilities on the Enterprise-D, Voyager, or Regent's Flagship which affect their primary weapon attacks also be unusable?
victoryislife
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Balance of Terror OP

Postby victoryislife » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Can a ship still take an action to remove a disable token even if its maneuver was correctly guessed?
victoryislife
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: Balance of Terror OP Event

Postby stawrulesteam » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:58 am

trooperrich wrote:I have a question about the squad building rules for this scenario.

SPECIAL RULES

SQUAD BUILDING

During the Gather Forces step, each ship may purchase one of its [Crew], [Elite Talent], [Tech], or [Weapon] Upgrades for a cost of exactly 3 SP and place it face down beneath its Ship Card. This Upgrade must be of the same faction as the ship it is assigned to and have an SP cost of 5 or less. NOTE: The ship’s Captain must be able to field an [Elite Talent] Upgrade in order to place an [Elite Talent] Upgrade beneath the card. Each of these Upgrades remain face down until a player decides to use them, and then they are turned face up for the rest of the game. If an invalid Upgrade is revealed, that ship is immediately destroyed


When selecting an upgrade to purchase for exactly 3 SP if there is a modifier to the cost of the upgrade does it apply before or after you purchase it for exactly 3 SP?

For example: Say I have a Fleet Captain that allows me to reduce the cost of all tech upgrades by 1 SP. I then choose a 5 point tech upgrade to purchase for 3 SP. Does this upgrade cost me 3 sp (5-1 =4 turns into 3) or 2 (5 becomes 3 -1 = 2) ?


In this scenario, the upgrade will cost you 3 SP no matter what modifiers you have on the ship.
User avatar
stawrulesteam
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: Balance of Terror OP

Postby stawrulesteam » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:59 am

victoryislife wrote:Balance of Terror OP rules state that when guessed correctly, the activating ship is unable to use card abilities but can still perform action bar actions and use primary weapons.

Could "card abilities" be clarified?

Would Ship abilities on the Enterprise-D, Voyager, or Regent's Flagship which affect their primary weapon attacks also be unusable?


In this scenario, any card text on any cards assigned to the ship would be unusable.
User avatar
stawrulesteam
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: Balance of Terror OP

Postby stawrulesteam » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:02 am

victoryislife wrote:Can a ship still take an action to remove a disable token even if its maneuver was correctly guessed?


Yes, the remove a disable token action is not a card ability.
User avatar
stawrulesteam
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: Balance of Terror OP

Postby stawrulesteam » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:23 am

kokuryu wrote:
If an invalid Upgrade is revealed, that ship is
immediately destroyed.


What qualifies as an invalid Upgrade?
1. Wrong faction
2. Too high of an SP cost
3. Ship restrictions (can only be purchased for...)
4. Upgrade Slots

If I reveal an invalid upgrade, can I then use Cheat Death?


All of your example are invalid upgrades.

In this scenario no your ship will be destroyed for breaking this rule.
User avatar
stawrulesteam
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: Balance of Terror - Monthly OP

Postby stawrulesteam » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:26 am

federn wrote:
During the Activation Phase, before an opposing
player's ship moves, a player may attempt to guess
that ship's maneuver (speed and bearing).

To do so, the guessing player must choose one of his
ships within Range 1-3 of the Active ship and spend
a Mission Token from on top of that ship's Captain
Card.


Can a player guess for each opponent ship in the same round, assuming the player is in range and has the mission tokens to spend? If so, can a ship/captain spend a mission token more than once per round?


Yes
User avatar
stawrulesteam
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Next

Return to Star Trek: Attack Wing Rules Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Fatal: Not able to open cache/data_global.php